Aims and Objectives
The happiness of every child is priority at Meithrinfa Deryn Bach. The best possible care is offered in a safe and stimulating environment where children can benefit from a wide range of play activities and experiences which enable them to learn and develop to their full potential. Deryn Bach follows the Foundation Phase Curriculum, enhancing this with strands from the Reggio Emilia approach, and Montessori, which ensures that each child is given the best possible basis for their future learning and development. We have devised our own unique and individual approach to planning, ‘in-play’ ©, ensuring the best environment and activities are offered to meet children’s individual developmental needs. Careful assessment and observations enhance our individual approach to planning.
The Nursery provides an online journal for each child, fully informing parents of their child’s progress while they are with us. The journal also offers partnership working between Key Workers and parents. The journal provides a ‘care diary’ to provide information about the child’s care routine whilst they are with us.
Meithrinfa Deryn Bach provides full day care for children aged from 3 months to 5 years, and after school care for children aged from 3 to 11 years. Deryn Bach is registered to provide care for a total of 69 children. Of these 69, a maximum of 29 will be cared for within the Nursery and 40 within the Ganolfan. We are not currently exceeding 29 children per day, and therefore not using the Ganolfan.
Both male and female children will be cared for at Deryn Bach.
Range of Needs of Relevant Children to be met
Deryn Bach will care for children with a wide spectrum of needs. Each child is an individual and their needs will be met as an individual. A special educational needs coordinator has been appointed within Deryn Bach. Clare Marsh is the SEN Coordinator. One-to-one care is provided for children where needed.
Deryn Bach will be open from 8.30am – 5.30pm Monday to Friday. We will be closed for Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, Good Friday and Easter Monday. Deryn Bach will also be closed from Christmas Day until the Day after New Year’s Day. Deryn Bach will also be closed for one week during August. Holiday dates can be obtained from the Manager, Laura Griffiths.
We also operate an ‘Early Club’ for parents’ that may need to drop their children off a little earlier. Early Club starts at 8am, please register if you require Early Club.
The service is provided by a team of qualified and dedicated staff. Minimum staffing ratios will be met at all times, and often exceeded, to provide the best possible care for children. The minimum staffing requirements are as follows:
- One adult to three children under 2 years (1:3)
- One adult to four children aged 2 years (1:4)
- One adult to eight children aged 3 – 7 years (1:8)
- One adult to ten children aged 8 – 12 (1:10)
The Manager is not included in any staffing ratios at Deryn Bach. Staff members include:
Proprietor, Manager, 1st Class Degree in Childhood Studies, NVQ Level 3 Childcare, Learning and Development, NVQ Level 3 in Play Work, Breastfeeding Peer Supporter, Food Hygiene, Child Protection, Paediatric First Aid, Early Years Physical Activity, Healthy School’s Lead, Makaton, Dyslexia, Autism.
Proprietor, Level 2 CCLD, Paediatric First Aid, Child Protection Level 3, Autism.
Deputy Manager, Nursery Cook, Nursery Assistant, Level 2 CCLD, Food Hygiene, Fire Safety, Paediatric First Aid, Health and Safety, Level 3 Child Protection.
Level 3 CCLD
Level 3 CCLD (Maternity leave).
Level 3 CCLD, Level 3 Child Protection.
Level 2 CCLD, Level 3 Play Work.
Level 2 CCLD
Level 3 CCLD.
working towards Level 2 CCLD.
Details of the Provision
The facilities offered to children and their parents or carers include:
- Keypad entry security systems to control access to the nursery
- Three rooms which have been designed to create a stimulating environment for specific age groups. One room is dedicated to children under 18 months, one room for children over 18 months and one room for preschool and after school care
- Sleep area to respond to the physical needs of each individual child
- A kitchen
- A large outdoor area which includes a grassed area and a tarmac area
- A Manager’s office with keypad entry system which enables parents to discuss, in privacy, issues relating to their children
- Access to the Ganolfan. The Ganolfan provides a large open space for the children to freely play and express themselves whilst they are in our care. Access to the Ganolfan is via the main Nursery entrance, and the doors are securely locked whilst the Ganolfan is in use to ensure no unauthorised access to the setting. The Nursery car park is secured whilst the Ganolfan is in use.
Deryn Bach offer full-day care, from 8.30am – 5.30pm Monday to Friday for children from 3 months to 12 years. We offer a number of flexible sessions:
|8.30 - 13.00||£27.50|
|13.00 - 17.30||£27.50|
|9.00 - 15.00||£30.00|
|After School Club 15.30-17.30||£9.00|
|After School Club 11.45 - 17.30||£28.75|
Examples of Activities Offered
- Sand and Water, Kinetic Sand
- Natural Resources
- Busy Feet and Early Years’ Tennis
- Arts and Crafts
- Role Play and Imaginative Play
- Small World Play
- Physical Activity (Bikes, Scooters, Balls etc)
- Fine Motor Skills
- Story Time
- Circle Time
- Outdoor Play
- Den Building
- Messy Play (including shaving foam, uncooked pasta, Gelly Baff)
- Nursery Outings (Talyllyn Railway, village park, the beach, the library)
- Dance Lessons with Miss Sarah
- Language Lessons with Wendy
- Art Classes with Dawn, our local artist
- Forest Fun on Monday Mornings
The main language used throughout the Nursery is Welsh. Staff members will enhance this with English for children that are developing their knowledge of the Welsh language, to ensure their understanding. Children with an additional language, staff will cooperate with the main carers and gain basic use of their language to ensure communication with the child and family. We are meeting Welsh Government Guidelines for the use of Welsh within the setting.
Children are also encouraged to develop a range of languages with Wendy, including Italian, German and Spanish.
Terms & Conditions
Please refer to our childcare contract for Terms and Conditions.
We take the following matters into account when prioritising and deciding on admissions which child can be offered a place in the nursery are:
- Availability of places, taking into account the staff: child ratios, the age of the child and any registration requirements
- Children who have siblings who are already with us
- When the application is received (extra weight is given to those who have been on the waiting list the longest)
- The nursery’s ability to provide the facilities necessary for the welfare of the child, including appropriate staffing arrangements
- A child requiring a full-time place may have preference over one requiring a part-time place. This is dependent upon work commitments, occupancy and room availability
- Any extenuating circumstances affecting the child's welfare or the welfare of his/her family.
We operate an inclusion and equality policy and ensure that all children have access to nursery places and services irrespective of their gender, race, disability, religion or belief or sexual orientation of parents.
Prior to a child attending nursery, parents must complete and sign a contract and registration form. These forms provide the nursery with personal details relating to the child. For example, name, date of birth, address, emergency contact details, parental responsibilities, dietary requirements, collection arrangements, fees and sessions, contact details for parents, doctor’s contact details, health visitor contact details, allergies, parental consent and vaccinations etc.
Contact InformationLaura Griffiths
Meithrinfa Deryn Bach